Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Gadget Flashback: Slanted Step Risers (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=228284)

Vintage VFer 04-05-20 12:11 PM

Gadget Flashback: Slanted Step Risers

I bought these ages ago to go with, I think, Cathe's STS.
https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/ce4...0&odnBg=ffffff
I pulled them out the other day to make my mini-step taller for sit-and-stand squats, etc. The knees don't care for low end squats lately.

How many VFers own these? :sun:

athompson10 04-05-20 12:25 PM

Me! I use them occasionally when I'm doing incline weights work on my step bench. Otherwise they rest at the bottom of my (large) pile of risers.

horusosiris 04-05-20 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage VFer (Post 2867874)
I bought these ages ago to go with, I think,

How many VFers own these? :sun:

I also have had these slanted riser for ages. They were a good fitness investment for me. I use them for standing and seated calf exercises, front lunges, front foot elevated lunges, glute exercises, incline exercises (when I do not feel like using my incline bench), for some of the old Ramp workouts, for some older Firm workouts, etc.

Erica H. 04-05-20 01:13 PM

I have them. DH bought them for me as a surprise gift many years ago. I don't use them often, but I do still use them.

Erica

Laura S. 04-05-20 01:40 PM

Years ago, I found a similar product in Target. My Japanese sister-in-law visiting at the time didn't know what to make of my excitement at finding this product that was a substitute for the original I had wanted for so long. :D

Vintage VFer 04-05-20 01:47 PM

I forgot. I have the SPRI Slanted Risers Workout DVD (2007). It is led by Kimberley Spreen and Rob Glick. (I got to meet Rob at a convention. A real sweetie!)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....-L._SX522_.jpg

I don't think I've ever done it!

horusosiris 04-05-20 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage VFer (Post 2867896)
I forgot. I have the SPRI Slanted Risers Workout DVD (2007). It is led by Kimberley Spreen and Rob Glick. (I got to meet Rob at a convention. A real sweetie!)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....-L._SX522_.jpg

I have the DVD and have never done it also!!!:D

adrien_73 04-05-20 02:07 PM

I have the slanted risers! I don't think I have the dvd though...

adawn 04-05-20 07:41 PM

I finally broke down and bought the slanted risers in 2013 when wayfair had a deal on them (found out about the deal on VF of course). I paid $23.98 including shipping for the pair of risers according to my email confirmation from back then.

I bought them for doing upper body work (like for the incline bench upper body work in the Gym Styles) but for various reasons, I end up not dragging them out much (for one thing, they always seem to end up at the bottom of my tall stack of extra risers). And I've managed just fine doing upper body work on an incline by simply using my regular step with uneven risers all this time. But I simply couldn't pass up that wayfair deal.

Then the freestyle club step and risers came out awhile back. I resisted for a long time but recently I waited for a price drop on amazon and got the freestyle club step which comes with 2 of the freestyle risers, which seems to serve the same purpose as the incline risers but are less cumbersome IMO and can double as regular risers (haven't used them for upper body incline work, yet). So between my two full-size club steps (one with freestyle risers), my high step, and my pair of incline risers, I think I'm covered on the step front.

But now Les Mills has that Smartstep. (Must resist, must resist!)

Erica H. 04-05-20 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage VFer (Post 2867896)

I just found mine! I don't think I've ever done it either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adawn (Post 2867950)
they always seem to end up at the bottom of my tall stack of extra risers).

Mine too! I only really use mine for when I do Slow and Heavy chest/back now, which is pretty rare.

Erica

deineira 04-05-20 08:11 PM

I definitely have these and I use them, mostly with Cathe upper body workouts, but also with the rare paper workouts I do now and again.

Loriann 04-05-20 10:47 PM

I gave mine to Goodwill a couple years ago along with the DVD during a declutter Phase. I hope someone was happy to find them.

I found that I could do incline moves on my stability ball and I didn’t use the slanted step workout more than a couple times. I don’t miss them.....now my Bosu, that I miss. Stupid decluttering phases.....

Lori

fanofladyvols 04-06-20 09:57 PM

I am glad you posted a pic because I initially thought you were talking about the freestyle risers that they sell to incline the regular step bench using the original risers for additional height. I use mine all the time.

I have never seen these slant risers. Pretty cool though!

Taramisu 04-10-20 05:01 AM

I bought these I think in 2011. I haven't used them much, right now they are in the garage. I bought them mainly for lunge type moves and as a replacement for when I unloaded my Transfirmer when I last moved. I have gone back and forth on just getting rid of them but so far they are still here.

The DVD is long gone though, I think I maybe tried it once.

Evie292 04-10-20 07:15 AM

Yes, I've got them and the dvd. I tried to do the dvd once, unfortunately, it was after doing Cathe vids and didn't care for the style or the 'basicness' of the instructional video. I was already past that point with it. Mostly use it for Cathe upper body now. Cleaned them yesterday . . . :-)

AsSweetAsSugar 04-09-22 11:14 PM

Old Thread Alert!

Do these have been discontinued? I have been trying to find a pair with not luck at all :( I am kicking myself for not buying a pair when I got my step in 2015.

adawn 04-10-22 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar (Post 2961510)
Old Thread Alert!

Do these have been discontinued? I have been trying to find a pair with not luck at all :( I am kicking myself for not buying a pair when I got my step in 2015.

I got a pair on closeout in 2013 from wayfair. I actually don't see how they made much of a profit as they were somewhat bulky to ship and I paid only $23.98 for them including shipping!

If it makes you feel any better, the freestyle risers are perhaps in some ways more versatile? I haven't been using either lately but I have several posts in this thread comparing slanted vs. freestyle risers:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=230974

AsSweetAsSugar 04-10-22 12:33 AM

Adawn, I read all your post about comparing the two yesterday! It was so helpful! I like the "fit" of the slanted risers better than the freestyle, I also don't like that with the freestyle the other end of the step goes directly on the floor. That being said, if I can't not find the slanted risers, I might end getting the freestyle, amazon.ca is finally carrying them. But, I am still hoping I will find the slanted risers somewhere!

ETA: You got a sweet deal btw!

Jane P. 04-10-22 10:14 AM

I have a Reebok step that I have been able to set up in a slanted manner. It works pretty well most of the time, and I haven't had to buy anything extra. However if you already have the club step, you probably would prefer to stay with the same company.

mimikz 04-10-22 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar (Post 2961510)
Old Thread Alert!

I bought mine almost exactly a year ago from thestep.com for $25. I just checked and they're $27 for a 2-pack. Not sure about shipping though. It was 'free' when I got them.

Mimi

AsSweetAsSugar 04-10-22 04:12 PM

Jane, it is great that you can do that with your Rebook step! I already have a full size step, high step topper and 12 risers, none from TheStep company, but same look and dimensions, if I knew I would get the high step later, I would have not bought the 4 extra risers, I got them cheap though like $6 each, and $32 for the full size step and 4 risers, they are still going strong. And then, I have TheFirm Wave and Bosu style trainer, and a step with bungee cords system! I am not looking on getting another step, just getting an extra pair of slanted risers sounds more reasonable, they aren't cheap though.

Mimi, I found the freestyle risers on amazon.ca for $68 and free shipping, very expensive imo, but at least they are there, I couldn't find them before at all. I am trying to find the Spri style risers, as the photo in the first page.

Jane P. 04-10-22 11:36 PM

The thing about the Reebok step is that the risers snap into place. That means you can pick up the whole thing and carry it around.

I did have a fanny lifter at one time which I foolishly gave away. Very sorry I did that.

AsSweetAsSugar 04-11-22 07:08 AM

Jane, that is a good point, and that is the only thing I don't like about the full step, setting everything before and after a workout, is a little workout on its own! Have you checked Craiglist or something similar to see if you could find a Fanny Lifter? Sorry, you are missing yours, I never had it, but I plan to use my High Step with the workouts that use it.

Vintage VFer 04-18-22 10:52 AM

I find that I am too lazy to pull out the slanted risers. I use my old BodyWedge if I want to do incline weight exercises. :sun:

AsSweetAsSugar 04-18-22 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage VFer (Post 2962441)
I find that I am too lazy to pull out the slanted risers. I use my old BodyWedge if I want to do incline weight exercises. :sun:

I never heard of that one before! I just read that thread, and it seems like it is a very versatile piece of fitness equipment ;)

bfit 04-18-22 10:06 PM

It reminds me a bit of the Leslie Sansone ramp that I still have. I don't use it very often because there are not many workouts that use it. I like it though.

horusosiris 06-18-23 01:34 PM

I have and use Spri's Slanted Risers.

Gams 06-18-23 04:23 PM

For those of you that said you have the SPRI slanted riser DVD, did you ever try the workouts? I just ordered the DVD and I’m curious about the cardio workout.

AsSweetAsSugar 06-18-23 06:16 PM

I tried the cardio workout and really liked it, it was challenging but doable, fun, short and sweet, the other two workouts looked good too.

Gams 06-18-23 07:55 PM

Thanks!

Lannette 06-20-23 10:50 AM

Still have them. Just used them for Cathe’s newest DVDs.