Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Need beginner recommendations (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=216392)

nschultz 06-29-16 12:00 AM

Need beginner recommendations

My mom revamped her nutrition at the beginning of the year and has lost 40 lbs :sun:, now she's wanting to focus on exercise and strengthening her body. She's in her later 60's and has some joint (knee,hip) pains at times.
I thought about suggesting Jessica Smith's Walk Strong program, but even following Jessica's mom may be too much right now. She has some Leslie DVD's and several beginner Essentrics, but wants to incorporate basic strength training too.

Any recommendations for individual DVD's and/or sets?

Demeris 06-29-16 05:51 AM

Stephanie Huckabee's powerfit
anything by Joel Harper
Mirabai Holland

your mother's progress is admirable--please pass on our congratulations

txhsmom 06-29-16 06:43 AM

Leslie has that DVD with the one strength program and one walking program - Walk It Off in Thirty Days; and then there's the Tone Every Zone Walk. Those are both good.

Carol

sherry7899 06-29-16 06:49 AM

Petra Kolber has a strength dvd that is divided up into short segments. It is very non-intimidating for a beginner. I will look up the title and post it later.
She is very encouraging and gives good form pointers.

Sherry

dnna 06-29-16 06:55 AM

I am your mother's age and some beginner workouts are more like intermediate to me.also have her pain issues.
good for beginners
Anna Benson Fit Prime- the ones she leads, flex posture is a hybrid that is really nice
Mirabai Holland is great -all of them
Lee Holden's mom has some really pleasant workouts in a gorgeous garden or water view, I love them
Karen Voight has a nice beginner workout, it does not have ab section
all the shorter walks by anyone really! I like the George Forean ones, lol.
I like step by step strength training with Petra
Margaret Richard Get Better or unplugged.
Gentle Yoga with Jane Adams
I do Am Stretch every morning! Madeleine Lewis. tell you Mom it works! highly rec. by dnna from the board

beginners or seniors too hard:
Firm Basics-you have to build up a little lifting strength/walking strength but then -yes go for it! also the Prime Powers. Perhaps she could do those now
avoid Tracy Longs Stronger Longer for seniors- those definitely feel intermediate to me
good luck!

BamaTanya 06-29-16 07:00 AM

Jane Fonda's Prime Time workouts. She has a couple that are cardio, a couple that are strength, and a yoga. I started back with these after a hysterectomy at 50 pounds overweight. They're in my public library and on youtube's Befit: https://www.youtube.com/user/BeFit/search?query=fonda

I would start with Walking Cardio I and Fit and Strong I.

bubbles76 06-29-16 07:12 AM

I was going to post this same question. My mother is about 80 pounds overweight, with some pain issues, mostly with her foot and back. She is 62 years old and has never been into fitness. She is sloooowly revamping her diet, mostly trying to watch portion control, minimize salt and sugar, and easing off her sugary drinks. I recently purchased Leslie Sanson's 7 Day Calorie Burn, as it has five short walks and two strength programs on it. It's a compilation dvd consisting of the following program:
  • 1 Mile Get Started
  • 2 Mile Fitness Walk
  • Walk Away Your Stress
  • Heart Healthy Walk
  • Upper Body Fitness
  • Lower Body Fitness
  • The Evening Mile

I don't have a lot of Leslie workouts, but do you think this would be a good place to start? She probably would have to modify the lower body routine, as she has problems getting up and down from the floor.

PennyK 06-29-16 07:24 AM

Another vote for Mirabai Holland, Jane Adams, Karen Holden, Leslie's Mix & Match Walk Blasters/Walk It Off In 30 Days, and Margaret Richard.

ETA: The one Bubbles mentioned is also a good one, I enjoy the upper and lower body segments as they go at a nice pace.

Demeris 06-29-16 07:32 AM

I want to add T-Tapp's MORE workout. In addition to the workout, Teresa has several short sections on this dvd--sitting, walking, posture (called Broom), and a segment on how to get up off the floor.

T-Tapp uses no equipment but still builds muscle--as bodyweight workouts can (Joel Harper's stuff is bodyweight muscle building, too).

nschultz 06-29-16 08:58 AM

Thank you so much for all the recommendations, I can't wait to start looking at some preview clips with her and get a small collection going that she can rotate through. I'll let you know what we decide.