Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   To all the VFers hiding in their check-ins... (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=220659)

Vintage VFer 08-16-17 10:43 AM

To all the VFers hiding in their check-ins...

I can't be the only one to notice that VF has become less active in the past few years. There used to be so many new posts per day I couldn't keep up. Now it is less active.

I lurk at a few of the check-ins and read about folks who "avoid the GD" (General Discussion) due to too much drama. Well, if enough of our regulars avoid the GD, it may slow down to a crawl.

I'm sure there are many other factors involved in the reduced activity on VF.

But, maybe we can liven things up a bit by posting more about fitness trends, goals, gadgets and equipment reviews.

Drama is not always a bad thing. Ask Shakespeare! :D

cataddict 08-16-17 11:06 AM

I'm not hiding in a checkin, but figure if I comment the thread will get bumped. I would also like to see more activity here and I have no expectation that every discussion is going to be drama free. I think net anonymity creates a bit more drama and 'hit and run' type comments, but that's what the ignore button can be used for if you find a member's comments too inflammatory. And disagreements are part and parcel of a true discussion imho.

And if Alta can hang in after being called a 'fun sucking shrew' (one of the more creative insults, I might add) who am I to disappear???

Vintage VFer 08-16-17 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cataddict (Post 2727403)
I'm not hiding in a checkin, but figure if I comment the thread will get bumped. I would also like to see more activity here and I have no expectation that every discussion is going to be drama free. I think net anonymity creates a bit more drama and 'hit and run' type comments, but that's what the ignore button can be used for if you find a member's comments too inflammatory. And disagreements are part and parcel of a true discussion imho.

And if Alta can hang in after being called a 'fun sucking shrew' (one of the more creative insults, I might add) who am I to disappear???

"Fun-sucking shrew!" LOL, those were the days!

Thanks for replying right away, Cataddict. I think I'm on a lot of Ignore Lists. :p

Rhonda 08-16-17 11:27 AM

I still post but probably not as much as the one time I gave asked a question I was reported by someone here or the instructor lurks and seen my comment, but I received an e-mail from the company regarding what I said. I no longer do business with this instructor or company and cannot even stand to pull out the DVDs to use and I have quite a few. I keep thinking about selling them but I do like them.

So that put a bad taste in my mouth and really watch what I say. I didn't even think what I said was bad, I was just asking a question.

So I think this does have something to do with people not saying much, afraid they will get treated poorly by some or even reported to the instructor. I know what the instructor did is noone's fault here but it still lingers with me.

zoegirl 08-16-17 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage VFer (Post 2727406)
"Fun-sucking shrew!" LOL, those were the days!

How did I miss that one?! I love your posts and comments! I don't post a lot but I do check in every day (usually several times). :o I miss the activity on the board but have to admit that it has probably saved me some money since things are a little quieter now. But I'm still all over a good bandwagon!

And I just stop reading if things take a turn that I don't care for...

Vintage VFer 08-16-17 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhonda (Post 2727407)
I still post but probably not as much as the one time I gave asked a question I was reported by someone here or the instructor lurks and seen my comment, but I received an e-mail from the company regarding what I said. I no longer do business with this instructor or company and cannot even stand to pull out the DVDs to use and I have quite a few. I keep thinking about selling them but I do like them.

So that put a bad taste in my mouth and really watch what I say. I didn't even think what I said was bad, I was just asking a question.

So I think this does have something to do with people not saying much, afraid they will get treated poorly by some or even reported to the instructor. I know what the instructor did is noone's fault here but it still lingers with me.

Rhonda, I can see where you would feel uncomfortable.

I had an instructor email me a long time ago about something I posted on VF. I'd actually written something nice and they wanted to thank me. I did feel creeped out at the time. I deleted my email address from my profile.

Now, I wish more instructors would read VF and take note of criticism and praise. But, not bother to email the poster! Instructors should contact Wendy if they have a gripe and want to air their side.

horsemom2 08-16-17 11:57 AM

At first I was hiding in a check-in to avoid a few people whom I had added to my ignore list.
Eventually, I just stopped visiting VF as often and did not even participate in the check in anymore.
I just peek every now and then in case a new workout gets discovered and post if I find something new to share.

ETA: just found another nice routine to share
Misty Tripoli *Another One Bites the Dust*
https://vimeo.com/229351564

Barb S

desderata 08-16-17 12:28 PM

I visit everyday and try to chime in when I have something to add. I only had one person on my ignore list and she was banned, so ... not a problem. I don't mind a little drama, but a little goes a long way and if a thread gets ridiculous I just stop reading it. I would also like the activity here to pick up, since this is the only group of people I know who are in to working out at home.

Jennifer P. 08-16-17 12:29 PM

I have wondered if lots of VF members preferred to visit check ins instead of the main
pages. I haven't posted as much lately, but I am trying to do more.

warriorprincess 08-16-17 01:15 PM

I tend to drop in sporadically, so I never know what's already been discussed. VF is like an old friend that I visit every few months.