Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   OT: strange ear pain after dental appointment (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=163813)

bfit 04-05-11 10:09 PM

OT: strange ear pain after dental appointment

I had a dentist's appointment today - just cleaning - nothing else. Ever since then I've had this stabbing pain around my left ear. It's not actually in the ear like an ear infection but just sort of vaguely around the ear, maybe even in my neck or head. It stabs so hard I wince and then it goes away for a while and then stabs again. Believe it or not, if I move my tongue a certain way this triggers it. I suppose if it continues I'll have to call the dentist and/or doctor, but has anyone else had anything like this? It's so strange. I don't feel like I'm coming down with a cold or anything like that. And since it started right after I left the dentist it seems too soon for some kind of infection I picked up.

KarenP 04-05-11 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfit (Post 1781266)
I had a dentist's appointment today - just cleaning - nothing else. Ever since then I've had this stabbing pain around my left ear. It's not actually in the ear like an ear infection but just sort of vaguely around the ear, maybe even in my neck or head. It stabs so hard I wince and then it goes away for a while and then stabs again. Believe it or not, if I move my tongue a certain way this triggers it. I suppose if it continues I'll have to call the dentist and/or doctor, but has anyone else had anything like this? It's so strange.

I'm not a doctor and I've never had this, but it sounds like it could possibly be the symptoms of TMJ. You may want to look it up and call your dentist in the morning.

RedPanda 04-06-11 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenP (Post 1781281)
I'm not a doctor and I've never had this, but it sounds like it could possibly be the symptoms of TMJ. You may want to look it up and call your dentist in the morning.

I agree. I had terrible ear pain once and it was TMJ - easily fixed with some simple exercises to loosen up my lower jaw.

Jacqi A 04-06-11 04:04 AM

Whatever it is, could be that holding your mouth open for the cleaning caused it & not the cleaning itself. Hope it goes away.

PhyllisG 04-06-11 06:00 AM

Don't laugh but my 2 cats just went thru the same thing. Both had dentals on the same day and the next day were yelling in pain every time they opened their mouths too wide. They couldn't even yawn without wincing--that is hardly the word but all I can think of to describe it. Call your dentist and I hope you are feeling better soon.

cdayley 04-06-11 06:07 AM

I've had TMJ for a very long time, and any kind of dental work really affects it. Having to hold my mouth open for that long, and the chair they put me in are a very painful combination for me. Call and see if they can give you some exercises that will help your jaw get back into place where it belongs.

Chrys Dayley