Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Is Chalene Extreme anything like.... (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=202786)

Tugger31 05-10-14 06:14 AM

Is Chalene Extreme anything like....

JNL Fusion?? Both seem to be short workouts. How do these two sets compare??

ebianco 05-13-14 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tugger31 (Post 2399500)
JNL Fusion?? Both seem to be short workouts. How do these two sets compare??

Hi Tugger,

I definitely enjoyed JNL more than CLX. A few key differences: CLX has the weight work entirely separate from the cardio, JNL has 30 second intervals of strength and cardio, with the cardio being loads of plyo work, that I really found challenging. You can go heavy/slow or lighter/fast with JNL, CLX is a graduated program with I think the first phase being 8-10 reps, second phase 6-8 reps, and third phase 10-12 reps, or something? I did the CLX program a few years ago. For me it made me pretty bulky (maybe from water retention too), and I didn't lean out in the Lean phase like other people did :o I did lean out a little more with JNL thanks to all that cardio, but didn't truly lean out until I moved on to much higher rep stuff like Dream Body and Tonique. I guess that just works better for me. I do feel like JNL really helped with my cardio endurance.

JNL and Chalene both have BIG personalities, I for one enjoy Chalene more than JNL (who was really starting to aggrevate me by the end of my rotation) but am used to Chalene from Turbo Fire. She was pretty over the top too though, in CLX.

As for similarities, they are both split workouts and in the 30-45 minute range. I was unimpressed that JNL did not include warm ups or cool downs, I thought that was seriously skimpy for a $100+ set. :( They both had okay music and production values, and both have a countdown timer.

I may consider using JNL again in the future (if I can stomach her mannerisms and the no warm up/cool down issue) but won't revisit CLX, it just didn't work well for me. I think a lot of people like it though.

JackieB 05-13-14 09:47 AM

I don't know anything about JNL. I just wanted to add that CLX was really hard on my back. The compound moves lifting heavy weights were awkward. I enjoyed Chalene and liked the length of the workouts. I also didn't lean out in the rotation...I tend to build muscle quickly and didn't love the effect.

Jackie

Tugger31 05-13-14 10:20 AM

Thx! I am planning a JNL/Dream Body Cardio rotation. No specifics yet, maybe just alternate them. I'm going to make it up as I go along! I may throw a few SB workouts in too since I just signed up for her streaming workouts for a one month trial.

ebianco 05-13-14 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieB (Post 2400463)
I don't know anything about JNL. I just wanted to add that CLX was really hard on my back. The compound moves lifting heavy weights were awkward. I enjoyed Chalene and liked the length of the workouts. I also didn't lean out in the rotation...I tend to build muscle quickly and didn't love the effect.

Jackie

Hmm, yes this reminds me another difference between the two, CLX has compound moves while JNL does not.

Sorry to hear it bothered your back!

ebianco 05-13-14 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tugger31 (Post 2400483)
Thx! I am planning a JNL/Dream Body Cardio rotation. No specifics yet, maybe just alternate them. I'm going to make it up as I go along! I may throw a few SB workouts in too since I just signed up for her streaming workouts for a one month trial.

Let me know how you like that! I tried to combine JNL and DB but they are so different I found them hard to mesh/reconcile :confused: I ended up just focusing on DB, which I love :love: (definitely way more than JNL haha)

Tugger31 05-13-14 11:02 AM

Maybe I'll alternate weeks???

rheash92 05-13-14 02:10 PM

Chalean Extreme is nothing like JNL. The goal in CLX is to use as much heavy weight as possible with good form. That being said you can't just start using heavy weights without prior conditioning so to speak. Just like how you would do aerobic base building for cardio capacity you do need a solid foundation in weights before you do CLX.

rheash92 05-13-14 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieB (Post 2400463)

Jackie

Im not trying to be rude here but don't you just do Classical Stretch and walking? CLX seems such a mis match for you. And I understand that you stay away from heavy weights because you bulk up but you really can't lift heavy weights without a good foundation so how can you say that it felt awkward? If Im only used to doing Zumba and I try Crossfit and its not my style I won't be bashing Crossfit its just that its not suited for me but it may be for someone else (again Im not syaing you are bashing CLX just giving my opinion).

ellaenchanted 05-13-14 02:40 PM

They are nothing alike but both very enjoyable. I have loved CLX for a long time but gave up heavy weights this past fall. If I decide to do a heavy lifting rotation again, and I probably will do an abbreviate don at some point, I would go straight to CLX. I just build muscle easily and too much heavy lifting just wasn't leading toward my preferred esthethic.

JNL Fusion is focused on timed intervals. You can choose to go heavier and move more slowly but, I feel like the format works best if you use light/medium weights and move on a faster count so you can get the cardio effect and fatigue the muscles. It is very similar to 21 Day Fix. I actually prefer 21 Day Fix because I love that she only does 2 rounds of each circuit, making the workout fly by. But, 21 Day is done in 60 second interval (for the most part) and can be killer for certain move (i.e. surrenders!).