Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Your favorite post-workout shoes? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=199750)

PrairieGem 01-13-14 02:48 PM

Your favorite post-workout shoes?

For working out, I need a really supportive athletic shoe... but afterward, sometimes my tired feet want something a lot more relaxing and soothing... kind of the shoe equivalent of a soak in a hot tub or a good hug. :p More substantial than a bedroom slipper, but soft. Cushy. A big ol' aaaahhhh for the feet. :love:

Anyone have favorites that fit the bill? I've recently discovered I have wide feet, so all my previous shoe-shopping knowledge has just gone out the window!

Thanks!

Fitstick 01-13-14 05:08 PM

Have you ever tried on the Skechers that have memory foam in them? They are very nice!

Sissy B 01-13-14 05:19 PM

I like my Crocs.

patchworkpenguin 01-13-14 05:28 PM

slippers!

I have some pretty substantial scuffs that have a 1/2 in foam sole. I didn't think they would last very long but I think this is year 3? for them. I wear them around the house all the time; the foam insulates my feet against the cold floors better than a heavier rubber sole does. We have hardwood floors with only a few rugs. In the summer I wear reef shoes inside.

laurajhawk 01-13-14 05:30 PM

Bedroom slippers! But mine are pretty substantial fleece-lined suede with a decent rubber sole. (I don't recall the brand; they were a Christmas present. :) )

Sissy B 01-13-14 06:02 PM

I have regular Crocs and fleece lined Crocs for winter.

cyana 01-13-14 06:08 PM

LL Bean's shearling lined Wicked Good Clogs. :love:

I liked the first pair so much I bought a second pair to have in case they discontinued them!

PhyllisG 01-13-14 06:11 PM

Short Ugg boots. I wear them as slippers around the house.

violingal3 01-13-14 06:21 PM

Mine go straight into a pair of heels for work. :(

cherimac 01-13-14 06:51 PM

In the winter I like fuzzy socks with aloe in them. :)

Leonana 01-13-14 06:58 PM

When I'm not working out or dressed up, I wear Birkenstocks. With socks in the winter, which horrifies my teenage dd. :D

neatski 01-13-14 07:06 PM

I love my Vibrams post workout. They stretch out my toes!

fitty5 01-13-14 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitstick (Post 2347386)
Have you ever tried on the Skechers that have memory foam in them? They are very nice!

I second this one!! Love them!!! :love:

ilovemygreatdane 01-13-14 09:36 PM

I love the Skechers too. The first time I put on a pair of Go Walks I fell in love. I bought a few different kind, as long as they are memory foam or soft inside. They have quite a few styles, even boots.

BunnyHop 01-13-14 10:13 PM

My old shearling slippers were kinda worn out, so I ordered the UGG shearling insole replacements in the same size, and they work great!

Definitely cheaper than new slippers.

sheepla 01-14-14 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonana (Post 2347454)
When I'm not working out or dressed up, I wear Birkenstocks. With socks in the winter, which horrifies my teenage dd. :D

This is me too. I must have arch support, so slippers never touch my feet. Particularly after a run when my feet are sore, Birkenstocks give instant relief.

meg39 01-14-14 07:24 AM

Love my Birkenstocks too....whenever my knees start aching, I know I need to start wearing them for a few days.

workoutjunkie 01-14-14 09:15 AM

I love my Orthaheel slippers. Got them from QVC.

PrairieGem 01-14-14 04:19 PM

You know, I felt kind of silly posting this thread, but evidently recovery shoes are an actual thing! A couple of Google searches (starting with "post-workout shoes" and leading to "recovery shoes") suggest that this was a particular trend around 2010 (corresponding with the height of the intensity trend, maybe?). Lots of articles reference those classic Addidas slides with the nubby footbeds. It looks like several companies that had dedicated recovery lines (like Crocs) have gotten out of the game, but Skechers and GoLite seem to have stayed strong!

This Glamour piece pooh-pooed the idea, but I know how MY feet feel after a workout, and they absolutely don't want to be crammed back into a pair of sneakers! :eek:

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody! I have really nice memory foam slippers and a couple pairs of Crocs/Knoc-offs that I wear around the house all the time, but I will definitely keep my eye out for the Skechers. :)

Debbie S. 01-14-14 05:19 PM

I used to be a huge Birkie fan. The Arizona was my favorite. I could wear them without socks in the summer and with socks during the colder weather. LOVED them.

Then I started wearing Fitflops. LOVE LOVE this brand. I wear their flip flops pretty much year round, and their Gough and fur lined clogs during the colder weather.

mizach 01-14-14 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie S. (Post 2347829)
Then I started wearing Fitflops. LOVE LOVE this brand.

These are hot in the Philippines!

I am a barefoot girl at home, with Smartwool socks.

Judith L 01-14-14 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrairieGem (Post 2347320)
... sometimes my tired feet want something a lot more relaxing and soothing... kind of the shoe equivalent of a soak in a hot tub or a good hug. :p More substantial than a bedroom slipper, but soft. Cushy. A big ol' aaaahhhh for the feet. :love:

Croc's Duet Plus clogs fit the bill for my wide feet. Only ordered Crocs because of a foot problem this year. Crocs come in three widths (each style comes in only one width, so styles come in three categories -- only mentioned on their website): standard, relaxed, and roomy. The Duet Plus is "roomy" and I wear my orthotics with them (fit in perfectly) so that saves me from feeling the nubs on the soles which I don't always appreciate, and cut off the straps. I wear them at the end of the day when my feet need a massage... I bought mine from Amazon: Duet Plus Crocs.

yogapam 01-14-14 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by workoutjunkie (Post 2347639)
I love my Orthaheel slippers

+ 1 :heart:

Lucky Star 01-15-14 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mizach (Post 2347862)
I am a barefoot girl at home, with Smartwool socks.

This is me too. The less footwear the better.
http://images.all-yours.net/postcard...s/icon1640.gif

killoffsonny 01-15-14 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemygreatdane (Post 2347526)
I love the Skechers too. The first time I put on a pair of Go Walks I fell in love. I bought a few different kind, as long as they are memory foam or soft inside. They have quite a few styles, even boots.

Love the Go Walks! I walked all over downtown San Diego in October and my feet never bothered me once even after being on them for three our four hours. Great shoes! :love:

zoegirl 01-15-14 10:21 AM

Ugg slippers.

PrairieGem 01-17-14 04:46 PM

Ohmigosh, huge thanks to everyone who recommended fleece-lined Crocs. I've had different Crocs in the past but find it hard to find the right fit... today I discovered (while picking up glasses at the mall) that there's a new Croc's retail store there... AND they were having crazy sales!

I was rummaging through the racks as the clerk came buy and asked if I was finding my size OK... "I think so... YES!" said I, slipping into a pair of unisex WM9 fleecy clogs. My feet immediately relaxed and started thanking all the VFers for their excellent advice. I seriously think these are the most comfortable shoes I've ever had on in my life. (For $23, no less!)

...I'm not sure I can bear to leave the house in them (they do have a distinct aesthetic deficit, alas :p), but that's OK. I work from home anyway! :D (And for the days I absolutely have to go out, I also bought a pair of their more mainstream, Dansko-esque leather clogs--normally $70--for $14!!)