Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Leslie Sansone's "miles"? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=31238)

Pykkalo 06-24-03 09:46 AM

Leslie Sansone's "miles"?

Do Leslie Sansone's workouts really equal as many miles as she says they do, as far as calorie burn and energy output? Does doing one of her 2-mile videos really equal walking 2 miles?

I've read several times that a 150-pound person will burn approximately 100 calories per every mile traveled, whether walking or running (you burn the same amount of calories whether you walk a mile or run a mile, but running for 30 min will burn more calories than walking 30 min because you are going farther). Anyway, will a 150-pound person burn 200 calories doing a 2-mile Leslie Sansone video? 200 calories burned in a 30-minute workout (sounds about right, doesn't it?)

I did WATP Express Super Challenge 4-mile (that's a mouthful!) this morning, and was actually jogging in place on every other "march in place" segment, and I was hoping that I burned at least 400 calories during my hour workout. I got my heart rate up in the 160-170 bpm range for most the workout!

BTW, are these videos effective for weight loss? I know my heartrate was up, but I didn't feel the "burn" in my muscles that I usually get when walking outdoors or on a treadmill (I walk 4-4.5 mph). Am I missing out on the leg-shaping benefits, or will extra standing legwork/floorwork (Joyce Vedral, FIRM Classics) take care of that?

kksg13 06-24-03 09:51 AM

Just me- but I never lost a pound and I did them regularly. I don't know what it was. Well really I've never lost weight just exercising but I did reshape my body w/ the firm tapes. I like leslie's tapes a lot though and really started using them just to get on some sort of routine to be healthy.

doskymom 06-24-03 10:35 AM

I have some of Leslie's tapes and enjoy them periodically for lighter workouts, but I don't believe that you burn as many calories marching in your living room as you would walking on uneven terrain outdoors. I also jog in place on the march in place segments and I have no trouble doing that, but when I jog outdoors it is a lot more difficult for me.

Pykkalo 06-24-03 10:39 AM

After I had my daughter and gained 30+ pounds of fat, I lost most of it walking/running 30-45 min a day (totalling 2-3 miles, with more walking than running). But that also included the "D" word...

stepdancer 06-24-03 10:42 AM

I've got the Walk Away The Pounds 2 mile walk. I use it a few times a week as my warm up for Beach Body Power 90. I find the 2 mile walk very, very easy though I've only been consistently exercising for 6 months.

Re Power 90:
Tony Horton is entertaining but stretches without any warm up. The legal stuff at the beginning of the video does advise a warm up but I suspect most people zoomed through that just like we do for the mandatory FBI warning. Some of the form used in Power 90 is questionable so I modify based on what I've learned from Cathe Friedrich and Karen Voight videos.

Kimmigirl 06-24-03 11:49 AM

I know this is sort of lazy but...

Hey Pykkalo :) ,

I'm going to quote my own response from a recent thread ( as opposed to posting a link, since that thread is 6 pages long ) to a very similar question:
Quote:

I was also interested in how Leslie S. walking tapes compared to regular (treadmill) walking, so I decided to to put them to the test w/ my new heart rate monitor. (Just a note about my HR monitor: It does not use a chest strap, just a wrist band/watch where you can measure your heart rate by pressing your index and middle fingers on the 2 sensors. It's very accurate and it also takes into account your weight and your resting heart rate) I used Leslie's WATP for the ABS 2 mile tape. I did not use the Walk Away belt, but instead used 1lb. hand weights (which I am sure contributed to my result) when Leslie and her exercisers used the belt. I did not use the same arm moves as they did. I just pumped my arms as if I were doing regular power walking, continuously throughout the workout. I according to to my HR monitor, in that 30 minute workout, I burned 247 calories . I was above the 75% of my range for the better part of the workout. This is comparable to what I burn using my treadmill at a moderate pace (although I am not certain how it would stack up to a vigorous outdoor walk.) I guess the key (for me anyway) to getting the most out of Leslie's tapes is to: 1) add very light hand weights, and 2) pick up my feet when marching and use slightly bigger movements.
I have the 4 mile Super Challenge on the schedule for this week, so I will try to remember to use my HR monitor and let you know the calories burned ( for me, anyway). Sorry again for being too lazy to retype this :) .

Kim

Candi 06-24-03 02:16 PM

Leslie's "miles" are based on time and bpm of the music. So if you walked to the beat of the music you should cover about the miles stated. That said the other moves -- kick, knee lifts, side steps and hamstring curls -- move at half time. I find my HR (according to my monitor with chest strap) goes down in those segments unless I add extra umphf. Although I feel those moves have the benefit of moving muscles differently.

I have lost weight doing only Leslie's tapes and mostly her tapes. That was during my first year a half of regular exercise (going from inactive to active). But I also seem to be one of those people that do respond to the "more fat burn at lower HR" theory.

Candi

Kimmigirl 06-24-03 03:54 PM

Exactly Candi :) ,
Ummph is what is needed to get the most out of these. One thing I do to keep the intensity up is alternate ( kickboxing-style) forward punches. I make sure to raise my legs to kick about waist high and punch forward with the opposite fist. I always keep my arms moving, regardly of what Leslie is doing in the video/DVD. On side-steps, I bend low and step out as wide as is comfortable. While doing this, I also do a reach & pull type motion to the front with my arms (again even when Leslie is not using the arms at all). I don't jog at all during the workouts, but I do keep the movements as big as possible to keep my HR up.

Kim

Jane P. 06-24-03 04:40 PM

I know that walking 4 mph for an hour on my treadmill feels a lot harder than a Leslie workout, but I have no objective measure, only perceived exertion.

jbear 06-24-03 05:09 PM

Just my $.02 worth

I have numerous videos of hers and find that my heart rate gets up there good and I feel so good after doing them. The new 4 mile challenge is especially good but I feel great even after her Walk & Kick and the 3 mile walk, even her Yoga one I don't feel half bad. I have maintained my weight & size the last almost year, well since January, by mainly doing her tapes. I'm not very good with super intense workouts so these are perfect for me! It all depends on the person I think sometimes. One thing that helps I think is varying which of her workouts you do - as she has even said that doing the same workout over & over, your body gets used to the movements and kind of plateaus.