Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Off-Topic Your go-to technique for calming/relaxation/meditation (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=220750)

LizEMA 08-25-17 01:01 PM

Your go-to technique for calming/relaxation/meditation

I'm interested in starting up some kind of self-practice that would instill calmness and quietness in my head :) and allow me to center myself. I'm wondering/hoping if anyone out in VFdom has some effective practices or techniques that they employ themselves in which they can share. I'm open to any and all advice, tips, practices, though, at the moment, I think my brain can only handle short intervals and small changes. :o

I'm hoping to start doing something -- anything! :o -- that can help abate some new-to-me feelings (mostly anxiety, I think, which have been causing me to REALLY really struggle these past couple of months) and would very much appreciate any and all suggestions, including (but not limited to) how you started your own practice. :)

Suzan66 08-25-17 01:16 PM

I really like Boho Beautiful's You Tube Channel. Several different guided meditations. I try to do one every day. :heart:

laurajhawk 08-25-17 02:04 PM

I use guided meditations sometimes, but usually I do a very simple mindfulness meditation practice. This page has instructions that are very close to what I do. I practice about 10 minutes a day, sometimes only 5 minutes. It helps a lot - I find myself less tense and less reactive when I am meditating regularly.

SuzieC 08-25-17 02:04 PM

Kundalini Yoga, especially Kia Miller's practices on yogaglo, have really helped me with anxiety.

Breath practices in particular really help to control anxiety.

If you have a smartphone or tablet, look up the Respirelax app. You do this in 5 minute intervals and helps a lot. My doctor recommended this to me.

The following article describes why a breath practice helps: http://www.anxieties.com/57/panic-step4#.WaB0ND6GOM8

As well, Yin Yoga can be very, very calming. And it feels delicious!

Hope this helps!

AnMrsDe 08-25-17 02:05 PM

The gals in my check-in directed me to an app meditation site, Headspace. You can sign up for 10 free days and so far, the daily meditations are super short (3 min.). I'm really enjoying Andy's accent and voice....and the things he says I can relate to. I'm still struggling to remember to do it every morning, though. I just need to find the right time and make it a habit.

Good luck!

SuzieC 08-25-17 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnMrsDe (Post 2729348)
The gals in my check-in directed me to an app meditation site, Headspace. You can sign up for 10 free days and so far, the daily meditations are super short (3 min.). I'm really enjoying Andy's accent and voice....and the things he says I can relate to. I'm still struggling to remember to do it every morning, though. I just need to find the right time and make it a habit.

Good luck!

Oh yes! Headspace is FANTASTIC. I used it a lot during the darkest days I have ever known. It was the only way I could get to sleep during that time. Thanks for the reminder. I should use it regularly, even though I'm in a much better place now.

BunnyHop 08-25-17 03:48 PM

The technique Laura linked too is very similar to what I do as well.

All you really do is sit comfortably and breathe.

My hips are tight, so for a long time I sat in a big chair, making sure my feet were flat on the floor.

J Brown's yoga dvd has a focus on the breath, and really seems to have helped me work towards a seated (on the floor) meditation. I like the fact that there are several variations, short to long, with extra audio instruction if you want it. I've been doing one of these practices every day for a while now, sometimes just the seven minute practice (it really is better than nothing), most often one of the others. I like the way he seems to have chosen his words with care, so that being in the moment is what matters.

One thing I've found helpful is the way he always starts with a bit of stillness so you can 'take a moment to set other things aside'. I find it a good reminder to make the effort to relax both my body and mind instead of rushing in to the practice.

I do think that for me, the repetition of doing the same moves, following the breath and developing a familiarity with the poses has been helpful too.

As I go along, I've been able to make my own practice, without the dvd, but a lot of times I do really appreciate following along. For one, I like being able to do corpse pose for an extended period without having to set an alarm.

Another thing I do is use a string of beads to count my breaths as I do my seated meditation. For a long time I used just a string of beads, since I had some necklaces that worked well for that purpose. Not so long ago, I bought an actual mala, knotted between each bead. I just breathe once, in and out, on each bead, then move to the next. I have two, one a pocket mala that's a quarter the size of a regular one, with 27 beads and a larger 'guru' bead. I like it because it's handy when I don't have much time. One round can feel nicely complete, and less like I'm being interrupted. :)

I do sometimes use specific breath techniques, sometimes actually pray, but mostly just sit there and breathe.

If sitting isn't for you, do explore other techniques and styles of meditation.

I'm also a fan of MELT Method, and find it helps relax me even as it helps ease some aches.

Best of luck finding what works for you.

hollymarie 08-25-17 03:53 PM

I like the free phone app Insight Timer. It has many choices for guided meditation.

NotThatGirl 08-25-17 03:57 PM

Headspace is really amazing - I completely agree with this recommendation! Kundalini yoga too - total game changer:sun:

beyond.omega 08-25-17 05:19 PM

Seconding LauraJHawks's suggestion, but what I do is a simplified version of that link. The practice I currently do came from Pema Chodron's Awakening Loving-Kindness, which is a very quick, easy, and excellent read even if you don't do her meditation.

For sitting instruction, I like this 12-second video by Katy Bowman: Get off of your sacrum. (This is great for meditation and for life.)

The meditation instruction is to:
1) Sit comfortable, but upright, bringing head, shoulders, hips stacked over each other. A chair...a cushion on the floor...whatever is fine. Hold your head straight, eyes looking straight or slightly downward. Breathe normally. Bring your attention to your body and soften the body to relax.
2) Follow the outbreath. Notice the sensations in your body as your follow your outbreath. Do it with gentleness, precision, and letting go.
3) Then wait for the next outbreath, and do the same (obviously you are going to inbreathe at that time).

I really like this practice because it meets me wherever I'm at. I notice benefit right away, and I get something from it whether I do it for 1 minute or 60. (This is in contrast to following both the in and out breath, or other mediations I have learned.) I currently do it 1x/day for 10-20 minutes. I am aiming to get to 1-2x/day for 60 minutes. But there were days when I was commuting 3.5-4 hours round trip and I would get to work rushing, and all I could do was 3 or 4 breath cycles of this before getting out of my car to go in to the office and I felt so much better.