Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I have a D2S ? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=195784)

Jane P. 08-26-13 01:04 AM

I have a D2S ?

I've been doing the phase one workouts for almost three weeks now. I find that I can increase the weights each workout, but that I often need a slower pace and longer rests than what is shown in the dvd.

This, of course, makes the workouts take up more time, which I don't like. My question is: should I lighten the weights I'm using in order to keep pace with the dvd, or should I just accept that I need to go at a slower pace if I use the heaviest weight I can?

starbelly 08-26-13 02:04 AM

I just started D2S and I think that phase 1 is higher rep/lower weight than phases 2 and 3. You could choose to go heavier and do fewer reps in order to stay within the time frame on the DVD. The DVD is a guide, but you can choose to alter it to suit your goals. If you want to heavy up and gain strength then go for fewer reps. I really like the shorter workouts and am pleased with the set so far.

Jane P. 08-26-13 06:48 AM

It seems to me that some of the moves in phases 2 & 3 require lighter weights because more balance is involved. That's why I wondered if I should go as heavy as I can in this phase.

MKEMom 08-26-13 09:38 AM

I don't know if it's the better thing to do or not, but I chose to lighten up a bit so I could keep pace with the video. I'm sure decreasing the reps would be fine too.

My biggest problem was with the step-ups in Strength 2. My grip would wear out long before my legs did. I tried it with a barbell, but I didn't like it.

Like Starbelly said, I would go with whatever seems to match with your goals. If you're looking to really build strength, then I would go heavier and do fewer reps.

I start Phase 2 today, and I don't think I'll be upping my weights much based on my preview.

Nuggie's Auntie 08-26-13 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MKEMom (Post 2279751)
I start Phase 2 today, and I don't think I'll be upping my weights much based on my preview.

That actually makes me glad to hear--I'm using 12s and 15s in phase 1. I have up to 20lb. dumbbells and I really don't want to have to buy a heavier set!

Jane P. 08-26-13 10:51 AM

I'm not in favor of a barbell on step-ups unless you have a spotter around. I think it's too easy to lose your balance and tip sideways. Holding a barbell on your shoulders gives you a much higher center of gravity. Hopefully, your grip strength will improve.

slysam 08-26-13 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jane P. (Post 2279612)
I've been doing the phase one workouts for almost three weeks now. I find that I can increase the weights each workout, but that I often need a slower pace and longer rests than what is shown in the dvd.

This, of course, makes the workouts take up more time, which I don't like. My question is: should I lighten the weights I'm using in order to keep pace with the dvd, or should I just accept that I need to go at a slower pace if I use the heaviest weight I can?

I am not sure which is better it probably depends on your goals. But if you are wanting to work on strength, I guess I would use the heavier weight with fewer reps then work on upping the reps a little each workout if your form/control allows. When I use to go to a gym I briefly went to a trainer that wanted me to either increase weight or reps every workout or two. I started a t a weight that I could do for 12 reps and when I was able to do 15 reps it was time for a higher weight and then I would drop down to however many reps I could do with good form at the higher weight. I think the goal with phase 1 is a little different, but I also think it may be assuming the user is new to lifting or heavier lifting (i.e. the talk of starting with a similar weight to your purse sounds aimed towards those new to strength training). I know some trainers like to start beginners with highish reps (not barre/TA type high reps but 12-15 reps) and relatively lighter weights while they are learning form to get it "into muscle memory" and because a lot of newbie gains are from improved coordination between brain and muscles too. I am not sure how all that applies for people who have been strength training for a while unless they want to work on endurance. ???

MKEMom 08-26-13 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jane P. (Post 2279801)
I'm not in favor of a barbell on step-ups unless you have a spotter around. I think it's too easy to lose your balance and tip sideways. Holding a barbell on your shoulders gives you a much higher center of gravity. Hopefully, your grip strength will improve.

Yeah, that was exactly how I felt... not safe. By the time I did them the last time, it felt easier on my hands. I have Powerblocks, and I think the grips are larger than on a dumbbell, plus I have stubby fingers :D

I did Phase Two Strength One today and I kept my weights about the same for everything. Adding in the balance elements kept me from going heavier, at least for now.