Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Kathy Smith and workout similarities (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=202305)

Pat58 04-21-14 11:36 AM

Kathy Smith and workout similarities

I'm back on a Kathy Smith kick (again) and am thinking of putting some of her workouts on my wishlist.

I have noticed over the years that her workouts can be much like the other one. I'm thinking of getting her two Ageless workouts: Total Body Turnaround and Staying Strong. Do these have many similarities to her Project You workouts? (step-knee-walk-walk, crack the coconut, the same kickbox routine again?).

Also, is her Barre Body Lift different enough from Total Body Lift to justify having both?

Thanks! :)

donnamp 04-21-14 12:16 PM

Hi Pat,

It has been awhile since I did the two "Ageless" workouts - but I remember one of them had a nice flowy-Ellen-ish segment and a good stretch!

I also think the Total Body Lift and the Barre Body Lift may be the same workout! I have it under the "Total Body Lift" title and really like it. it has 4 approx. 15 min segments.

Donna

dnna 04-21-14 12:33 PM

total body lift has 4 15 minute segments- the leg lift segment looks like a barre workout.the tummy lift is pilates based.she has a cast with her.
Ageles-total body turnaround has 3 20 minute segments-works on balance in one segment- and Kathy is alone. and looking great. still whooping here and there, she can't help it, lol. Staying strong has 4 15 minute segments and a 12 minute bonus stretch. These two new ones are really very nice but -yes similar.
sent you a pm re: total body lift

Pat58 04-21-14 12:39 PM

Thanks! BTW Kathy's whooping doesn't bother me much. I know, she can't help it, right? :D She seems like such a genuinely nice person.

Jane C 04-21-14 12:43 PM

Hi Pat - just a note that my public library has alot of Kathy Smith workouts - you might be able to get a preview there.

bzar 04-21-14 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat58 (Post 2391542)
I'm back on a Kathy Smith kick (again) and am thinking of putting some of her workouts on my wishlist.

I have noticed over the years that her workouts can be much like the other one. I'm thinking of getting her two Ageless workouts: Total Body Turnaround and Staying Strong. Do these have many similarities to her Project You workouts? (step-knee-walk-walk, crack the coconut, the same kickbox routine again?).

Also, is her Barre Body Lift different enough from Total Body Lift to justify having both?

Thanks! :)

the 2 ageless workouts aren't too different compared to her PY series in terms of choreography. you've got it described accurately in a nutshell - step knee walk walk coconut ham curls. her PY workouts, to me, are more intense and there's more variety and energy.

i liked her Rejuvenation walking and toning workouts. i lucked out and found both of them on ebay w/o the equipment! for whatever reason, the Rejuvenation workouts were more "interesting" compared to the Ageless workouts.

as far as her pilates/barre workouts, here's a list of the ones that you might be referring to:
  • Tummy Trimmers
  • Total Body Lift
  • Peel Off the Pounds Pilates
the above 3 workouts are good in that they are well chaptered and you can pick and choose segments. i can't remember if any of the discs are programmable - they might be.

they're different from her PY yoga or pilates routines in that the segments are shorter, whereas the PY workouts are just 1, 20-25 min workout that is not as segmented.

according to this Amazon review, TBL = BBL.

bzar 04-21-14 02:28 PM

speaking of Kathy, she re-released her Power Step workout, and it includes the Fat Burning Breakthrough step workout.

i have both, but this is quite a bargain for people who've wanted the power step workout. for a long time, the power step workout was OOP and the prices on Amazon were sky-high.

yogapam 04-21-14 02:53 PM

Pat - I have a Kathy barre workout, I think it's Total Body lift, I am not at home to check. I would be happy to gift it to you.

[EDIT] pm me if you are interested.

Pat58 04-21-14 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jane C (Post 2391569)
Hi Pat - just a note that my public library has alot of Kathy Smith workouts - you might be able to get a preview there.

Hi Jane! http://websmileys.com/sm/happy/042.gif Thanks for the tip!

Jeannine - wow, thanks for the info. I had a suspicion that TBL would be the same as BBL. :( Lucky you on the Rejuvenation workouts!

Pam - I have Total Body Lift at home. :D

Sollamyn 04-21-14 04:07 PM

I have both of the Ageless DVDs and PY. I've done the PY strength workouts quite a lot. While there are similarities between Ageless and PY, I don't see that they are very similar. Of the two Ageless DVDs, I use Total Body Turnaround the most. There is a cardio/strength circuit workout using dumbbells, a balance workout (sort of the barefoot cardio/toning circuit with balance and lower body moves), and a stretch/energize workout on it. On Staying Strong, it is four 15-minute strength workouts divided by body part (upper body, legs, glutes, and core) plus a stretch workout, I think.

She does the most whooping on the balance workout, I think. And she does a crack the coconut move on at least one of the workouts (can't remember which), but I don't think she calls it crack the coconut (I could be wrong!). Anyway, I really like these workouts although I haven't used the Staying Strong in a long while because, well, I'm a vidiot and I have so many other workouts to do!! :D:o

Oh, can I plug Peel off the Pounds Pilates while I'm here? I like the low-impact cardio workout on that one.

Donna