Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Do you think Zumba is just a fad? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=168367)

skinnygirl 07-15-11 04:22 PM

Do you think Zumba is just a fad?

Remember how big step classes were and kick boxing? ...I even remember the rebounding classes(mini trampoline) were packed at the gym i used to go to. Then they all died down.
My trainer at my gym does offer Zumba classes but doesnt put much emphasis in marketing them because he said it was a fad. I don't want to believe it but I am so addicted to Zumba that maybe I just don't want to hear it. What do you all think?

Franny:D

ellaenchanted 07-15-11 04:25 PM

It's been around for a long time now. And dance fitness has been around even longer. Step and kickbox are still fairly popular here. Spinning attendance has died down a little bit but is still going.

Jojo 07-15-11 04:30 PM

It depends on how one defines a fad. If it lasts for five years, is it still a fad? Looking at other "trends" like step, kick boxing, body pump, they are still some classes in my local gym offering these work out types. I think Zumba will stay for a while, since it is so popular and is probably the first dance aerobic type to really hit the mainstream. But I suspect that in four years time, the number of Zumba classes offered at my gym will have gone from four to one a week. I love Zumba though and to be honest I think Kettlebells will jump the sharks before Zumba does!

SharonNYC 07-15-11 04:41 PM

Well, gee, I bought my step just about 20 years ago and I was late to the party and am not even a big fan of step. Still, it must be pointed out by someone (I guess) that step videos still take up a lot of space at Collage Video. So if Zumba lasts as long as step has I'd say that's quite a successful run for a "fad".

cpcathy 07-15-11 05:07 PM

Isn't the fitness industry made up of "fads"? Isn't it just par for the course, let's try this! Let's try that! Otherwise, wouldn't we all doing the one thing the experts said was good for us and nothing else?

Jojo 07-15-11 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpcathy (Post 1851351)
Isn't the fitness industry made up of "fads"? Isn't it just par for the course, let's try this! Let's try that! Otherwise, wouldn't we all doing the one thing the experts said was good for us and nothing else?

Very true, and I for one am happy for that, since trying new stuff keeps me more motivated to exercise.

2ndgen 07-15-11 05:36 PM

Zumba is a fad but a long term very fun fad that has been around for a long time, what, five years or so?

My gym still has Zumba around all day and evening with something like seven different instructors and variations on the theme. The classes are packed and they have to limit the number in a class. They have taken people out of classes who don't have the right color armband that shows they got there early enough to be in a class lol.

People all over the world are doing zumba. So t'is a fad but a big one, probably safe to say it'll be around for awhile.

Lucky Star 07-15-11 05:42 PM

According to Wikipedia, Beto Perez introduced Zumba to the US in 1999. Admittedly it took some time to take off.
And, sure, it's a fad but it has the potential for great staying power.

hotncmom 07-15-11 06:52 PM

Yes, I think Zumba is a fad, but dance fitness is a long term trend. Zumba is just another version of it. I also think that barre is a fad. Barre is just starting to come to my area, but honestly I don't see it lasting but about 5 years. Maybe not even that long if this horrible recession continues. Studio classes are just so expensive!

Personally, I'm not that crazy about Zumba, but I wish that dance workouts with great music for the uncoordinated would grow. There is a Les Mills class called Sh'Bam that is not available in my area yet, that has simple choreo and great music. I belong to the Y and they only have Zumba. They are just not on the cutting edge of fitness trends. It would be nice to live in an area like NY or LA that has all that cool stuff to try.

suegy3 07-15-11 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpcathy (Post 1851351)
isn't the fitness industry made up of "fads"? Isn't it just par for the course, let's try this! Let's try that! Otherwise, wouldn't we all doing the one thing the experts said was good for us and nothing else?

+2